Dental implants are a revolutionary way to restore missing teeth, and they’ve been enthusiastically accepted and embraced by the dental world because of their advantages and benefits as a tooth-replacement option. Missing teeth is an oral-health problem that carries several different consequences. Gaps in tooth alignment because of missing teeth can leave someone feeling uncomfortable behind their own smile. Many times, it affects a person’s confidence, causing them to refuse to smile in photographs or in person with friends and family. But gaps indicate a more serious oral-health problem: when teeth are missing, other surrounding teeth are moving and shifting in an attempt to fill the gap caused by the missing teeth. Missing teeth can cause a face to lose fullness over time, drastically changing someone’s appearance. But dramatic advances in technology and cosmetic dentistry have changed the game. Our experienced implant dentists at Wall Street Dentistry in Albertville share today what implants are, 5 signs you may need them and how they can help you live a fuller, more confident life.
What are dental implants?
To put it simply, dental implants are permanent replacements for missing teeth. During the process, a skilled cosmetic dentist inserts a titanium post in the jawbone where the natural tooth is missing. The jawbone eventually accepts the post as a new artificial tooth “root,” fusing around it in time. Next, a customized dental crown is created in likeness to teeth that will surround the new implant. That crown fits onto the post — or “root” — to create a complete and beautiful smile. Dental implants, with a 98 percent success rate, can replace one or multiple missing teeth at the same time.
What are the signs you may need dental implants?
- Missing tooth/teeth — Perhaps the clearest sign you could benefit from implants is a missing tooth or multiple missing teeth. Our dental implant specialists in Albertville can replace a missing tooth that has perhaps been embarrassing you and making you hide your smile, and we can make a replacement look like your natural teeth; no one will ever be able to tell one tooth isn’t natural.
- Loose and messy dentures/partials/bridges — We know you’ll agree that dental implants are a far superior restorative dentistry option than dentures, partials and bridges. Worry no more about dentures falling out at the most inconvenient and humiliating times. You never again have to deal with denture adhesive or live without a mouthful of teeth while cleaning your dentures. Implants are permanently situated in your mouth, and they behave, look and feel just like your normal teeth. Your smile will look natural — exactly like it did (and probably better) than before you lost your natural teeth!
- An infected tooth must be pulled — If you have a tooth that needs to be extracted, it’s also going to need a near-immediate replacement to prevent further problems with shifting teeth down the road. An implant is a durable, natural-looking replacement that can be treated exactly the same as natural teeth, including brushing and flossing.
- Your face appears sunken — Unlike dental implants, restorative options like dentures don’t stimulate the jawbone to encourage the regrowth of tissue. So with age, the jaw regresses. This is why the mouths and chins of people who wear dentures appear to be sunken in. On the contrary, the process of actually putting in dental implants stimulates the jawbone. And once in, the implants continue that stimulation naturally, with activities as simple as chewing.
- You have a broken or severely damaged tooth — No different than an infected tooth, sometimes pulling a tooth can’t be avoided. Implants, if pulling a tooth becomes necessary, promise long-lasting strength and durability and a natural-looking smile.
Dental Implants in Albertville, Alabama
If you suffer from missing teeth — or teeth that will soon be missing due to infection or damage — consider dental implants to help you achieve the permanent, natural smile you maybe never thought you’d have. Our Albertville cosmetic dental office wants to answer any questions you have about dental implant restoration, and we will work with you to produce stunning results. For more information about ways we can help you regain better oral health and confidence, or to schedule a consultation today, call Wall Street Dentistry at (256) 400-2783 or contact us online.